Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Paula Deen's Chicken and Rice Casserole...Southern Comfort!

Today, I'm going to try a new recipe...I was searching for something warm and cozy, since it's raining outside today and it's almost fall (yay!). I found this Paula Deen recipe online (http://www.foodnetwork.com/) and thought I would give it a try. If this falls through...I'll be making hotdogs and chili (always have a back-up, even if it's Chef Boyardee). So, here's her recipe, which I'll be changing a little to suit our family and our picky eaters :)

Chicken and Rice Casserole
Ingredients
  • 2 (14 1/2-ounce) can green beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 cups diced cooked chicken
  • 1 medium onion, diced and sauteed
  • 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
  • 1 (4-ounce) can pimentos, drained
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 (6-ounce) box long-grain and wild rice, cooked according to package directions
  • 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
  • Pinch salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased 3-quart casserole dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.

Ok, I'm going to use peas instead of green beans, no water chestnuts and reduced fat Dukes mayonaise instead of regular. I have also heard it's great with cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of celery soup...oh yeah, and my kids and hubby are not pimento fans, so I'm leaving that out too...Is this even the same recipe now?? Oh well...we'll see!

Happy Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment