Monday, September 12, 2011

Chicken and Dumplins kind of day...

Happy Monday! Today is a chicken and dumplins kind of day for us...Mondays are always hard...Daddy goes back to work. Little Will goes back to school. I go back to chasing my tail all week. So, today we all thought it would be so neat to make a big ol' pot of chicken and dumplins to make this Monday feel better. I'm not a good cook...I'm a terrible cook...no one ever showed me a single thing growing up. The closest I ever came to getting a cooking lesson was eating the Crisco off of my great-grandmother's mixing spoon while she made a cake one time (I think that huge bite of Crisco is still in my stomach). I have learned what I know now (which is very little) by trial and error...lots of error :)

This recipe is super easy and I'm sure some grandmas out there would gasp at the thought of using frozen dumplins but oh well...here's my semi-homemade edition:

Chicken and Dumplins (and yes, leave off the "g")

3 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts
1 stick of butter
1 box of Annie's frozen dumplins
water
salt to taste

Boil your chicken breast in a large stock pot filled almost to the top with water. Add your stick of butter to the water and chicken and maybe a little salt to taste.

After the chicken is done, remove it from water and onto a large plate. Remove the skin and all the bones (look for little ones) and shred the chicken. Place the shredded chicken back into the pot with the good ol' buttery chicken stock you just made!

Get your frozen dumplins and remove them from the package. They will be perforated. Break them up into 3 and then break those pieces in half. Each sheet will give you 6 dumplins. Use the WHOLE pack! That makes it good :) Place them in the stock with the chicken and stir. Stir alot. Cook on low for about 30 minutes or so, just check the dumplins and make sure they are tender. Then....ENJOY!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, this sounds great. Maybe I can make this tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, making this right now. Just realized I forgot to break the dumplins in half. Oh well, hope it will still be good. Follow my blog at www.littlejakemcswain.blogspot.com. :)

    ReplyDelete