Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11...10 Years later...

Today is September 11, 2011...I can't believe it's been 10 years since that terrible day. I remember exactly where I was when the world stopped. I was teaching kindergarten and my little students were playing in centers. My classroom was right across from the library and the librarian peeped into my classroom and said, "Jenna, turn on your TV. The World Trade Center had an explosion.". At that point, we all didn't realize what was going on. I turned on our classroom TV and started watching...I couldn't believe what I was seeing but the worst was yet to come. I was standing in the class watching with my friend, Cindy and we saw the 2nd plane crash into the 2nd tower. We were in shock...we immediately got our children outside onto our classroom playground to protect them from seeing anymore. I was married to Will and he was in Baltimore, Maryland for a conference for work. I couldn't call him (we didn't have cell phones) but we had these mini text machines (the pre-texting age) and I sent him a message on it telling him what was happening. He had no idea...that was a message he'll never forget. From that day forward, life was different. I was scared. I bought American flags. I held onto my husband tighter than before. I'll never forget that day. How could I? How could anyone?

Now, 10 years later. We all take time to remember that day. I'm dressing my children in red, white and blue today. I am going to watch every bit of TV coverage today and I am going to explain to my babies that on this day in 2001, our world changed but we got stronger. I am thankful today for the innocent sacrifce of 9/11. I am thankful and I will never forget....

No comments:

Post a Comment