Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My baby boy...9 years old?

Tomorrow, my baby boy will be 9 years old. I can't believe it. Didn't we just bring him home from the hospital yesterday? I know everybody says that time flies, but after you have a baby, time really does fly. The last 9 years have gone by like a flash. I truly feel like I just blinked and now, my baby is standing almost as tall as me.

On October 20, 2002, William Walter James III was born at exactly 9:00 am. He was 8 pounds and 10 ounces and 21.5 inches long. I can't believe I survived to be totally honest. He was a week late (actually due on October 13th). My water had broken at home and two very scared twentysomething soon-to-be parents rushed to the hospital and waited all night to hold that sweet baby. He was precious and perfect and a true "piece of gold" as Nanni used to say. Everybody loved Will. Everybody still loves Will. But to me, his mama, that was my first baby....and the love I felt the day he was born has only grown over the last 9 years.

Here are some neat things about my firstborn son:

1. He loves science...I mean, he truly loves it. He wants to be a scientist when he grows up. I'll be on the front row for every science experiment, I promise.

2. He has a beautiful singing voice. My baby can sing. He sounds like an angel. I am so glad. I wish he would sing more but he's a little bashful nowadays. One of these days, I'm going to hear him belt it out and once again, I'll be on the front row.

3. He has a tender heart...he cries when he sees a commercial about kids with cancer. He begs to give food to hungry people. He worries when we see a homeless man or a child without good clothes. He cried in the movie Soul Surfer and Dolphin Tail....I love his tender heart.

4. He loves Jesus. Will gave his heart to the Lord when he was really little. I wondered if he even knew what he was doing back then, but now I know he knew exactly what was going on. He prays everyday and if you're his friend, I can guarantee that he prays for you. He tells little Cole Bible stories and listens in church, like he was 35 years old. One more reason that I'm proud...

5. He's just like his Daddy...yes, if you have seen my husband, then you have seen my son. They are identical, not only in looks but in personality. I have always wondered what it would feel like to have someone look so much like you and also act the same...it's really neat to see. I am proud of those two. Little Will sure lucked out to have such a good Daddy to be like :) I wouldn't change that for the world.

6. Will loves to read...I mean, he LOVES to read. He is surrounded by books this very moment in his bed. Science books, history books, baseball books...you name it. He usually falls alseep with a book under his pillow. I hope he never loses that eagerness to learn. I'm so proud of him :)

7. He loves his family...Will would do anything for his family...anything. He loves his baby brother and has set such a good example for him. He is like a mini-daddy to Mollie, who absolutely adores him. He would give his right arm for time with his grandparents. Will is a family boy and I know one day, he'll turn into a family man.

8. He has the cutest freckles in the world :) Enough said. They are literally the.cutest.things.ever

9. He can hit a baseball like nobody's business...yep, I'm a proud baseball mama every spring. I love cheering him on and the best part is his smile from ear to ear the whole time. He would do anything for his team. That's my guy.

10. We grew up together...yeah, I was a complete ignorant mess when I gave birth to that sweet boy. I had no idea what I was doing and couldn't believe the nurses were actually going to let us take him home. I grew up real fast...I learned most things the hard way with Will but it was worth it. I remember rocking him for literally hours and hours (since, remember I learned everything the hard way) but those days of just us...well, I wouldn't trade it for the world. It was never that way again.

So, there are just a few of the wonderful things about my baby boy...yes, he's still my baby boy until the day I'm gone. Little Will, if you ever read this, remember that I am so proud of you and I love you. I love you more than all the stars in the sky and all the grains of sand on the beach. I love you as far as the ocean and the sky. I cherish every day with you. You are my piece of gold.

Love, Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment