Monday, October 24, 2011

Daughters and Daddies...

I am one lucky girl...I have a wonderful husband, 3 beautiful, healthy children and now, I have my Daddy. I never thought this day would come. I am 35...35 year old women don't all of the sudden get a chance like this. I thought my chance had passed. I had almost given up.

Then, one day things changed. My step-mom, Donna, who I had never met, reached out to me. She opened the door and made a way for that huge gap to close. God used her that day. She thought beyond her own life and took a chance on a complete stranger...me. She didn't know me. She didn't know if I was nice or weird or crazy. She just took a chance. I believe God led her to do that. I will always believe that.

Now, after 35 years, I have a relationship with my daddy. He is everything I hoped he would be...funny, smart and affectionate. He hugs. He hugs me a lot :) That makes me smile. That makes up for lost time. We are so much a like, it's nuts. Even simple things like what his favorite candy is (Reese cups), is my favorite too. I don't take those little things for granted. They are all special and important to me. The best part of all of this is that my children have a wonderful grandfather now (Pops, as they call him). They always had a wonderful grandfather in my husband's father, but now I have something to offer too. They get to see my side. I needed that in this life. Now, I have it.

So, today, Monday, I'm sitting here missing my dad but things are different than they used to be. I don't miss him the same way. I know I'll see him really soon. I know I can pick up the phone and call him. I know that he thinks my baby girl is the most beautiful girl in the whole world. I know that he loves my boys more than I could have ever imagined. I know that he is my real daddy and that can't ever be taken away. God answers prayers. Prayers of a little 8 year old girl and prayers of a 35 year old woman....all my prayers. He answers and I am grateful :)

4 comments: