Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Year in Review....2011

Wow, it's been a while since my last post...let's see...we went to Disney World, came home, Little Will and Mollie caught pneumonia, Mollie got 2 ear infections, Mollie got RSV, Cole had a cough that lasted forever, Will got sick, I got sick, Mollie got sick again....and then it was Christmas....

You get the idea, what a month. I don't think I've ever had a month like that in my life. It seemed like every day there was something new and I developed a really close bond with our pediatrician...ha! Oh, did I mention that in the midst of this, I made 75 cookies for my boys' Christmas parties at school??? Anyway, through it all, we had a wonderful Christmas and even created a new tradition of going to the movies on Christmas day...that was seriously fun :) My in-laws came along which made it even more festive and fun and we saw The Muppets :) I laughed out loud through the whole movie and then almost cried when Kermit sang, "The Rainbow Connection"...it was a great day :)

So, here we are on December 28th...and I'm thinking about this past year and all that it included. It was a great year :) I don't say that often because in my life so many things have happened to me that usually on New Year's, I'm so thankful the year is over that I can't see straight. But 2011 was a good year and it was good to me in a lot of ways. So, here's my year in review:

1. In 2011, I had a baby girl :) Ok, that was the absolute highlight of my year, by far. I had her on January 8th, 2011 (Elvis' birthday too...if you didn't know that) and I got to spend almost all of 2011 with that precious, sweet, spunky baby girl. Oh, how I love that child. She is happy and snuggly and all I dreamed she would be. I don't know how you can top that, so I won't even try. So, Mollie Adalyn's birth is #1 :)

2. In 2011, we finally took our kids to Disney World. Wow, what a trip :) We made memories for a lifetime and walked about 100 miles in the process. I wouldn't recommend taking a 10 month old to Disney with 2 other kids, but we were sick of waiting. I mean, we have a 9 year old and an almost 5 year old...The best part was seeing their faces on It's a Small World...the fireworks at the castle...the amazing food on Thanksgiving day...swimming in November at our hotel....you get the idea :)

3. In 2011, I turned 35...ok, that's probably not a highlight but that was a big milestone. It didn't really bother me that much. I was too excited that I just had a baby girl 2 months earlier :)

4. I lost 20 pounds. Yes, I am so happy. I am seeing jean sizes I haven't seen in 5 years. I am by far no fashion plate and no "get-in-shape girl". I hate to exercise and could live on Reese cups but I stopped living on McDonald's cokes and sweet tea, stopped having full meals at 10:00pm and started drinking more water and eating healthier overall . So, I'm happy with how things are going in the weight department ;)

5. In 2011, I went to another Sylvan conference with Will. I don't know why, but I love those things. I never go to the actual conference, but I tag along for moral support. We went to Orlando (which gave us a dry run on what to do when we went as a family in November) and we had a lot of fun. I ate food that was the best ever...ask me about a little hole in the wall Italian place...YUM :) and found the absolute best baby store in the world (Macro Baby). I got to spend time with Cole and Mollie, although I missed Little Will like crazy (so, I probably wouldn't do it again unless all 3 kids could go). I learned to drive on the Florida turnpike and didn't even cry in the process. I've come along way baby :)

6. In 2011, I let all the past go with my family. Yes, this is a very serious topic when I usually just talk about food and fun, but in 2011, I started to grieve. I lost my grandmother (who was really my mother) in 2006 and my grandfather in 2009 and I had never really accepted it or started to grieve for them. I was sad and I was devastated but I hadn't started grieving yet. I was too overwhelmed by the horrible situation that was left for me when they passed away. Those of you who know me well know just how horrible that situation was. So in 2011, I let it go. Don't get me wrong, I still miss my grandparents everyday and pray every night that I will at least have a dream about them so they will still feel alive to me somehow. But I started living for the living this year and I'm not looking back :)

7. I got my first pair of skinny jeans. What a thing to write after #6 but being light-hearted is what I'm all about and after the several years I've had...a pair of skinny jeans is a big deal and it made me smile :)

8. I stopped homeschooling. Yes, that was a BIG deal for me. I stopped something that I never, ever thought I would start, much less stop. But after having Mollie in January, I saw my sweet 3rd grader long for friends, cafeterias and fire drills even more. He wasn't content to stay home with mama and his brother and newborn sister all day. He couldn't meet other homeschooling kids because I couldn't join a homeschool group in flu season with a newborn, so I swallowed all my pride and said no more...it was hard. I cried for 3 weeks. I prayed until I couldn't pray anymore. In all that craziness, God answered my prayers and gave Little Will a sweet, Christian teacher that I still love to this day. I handed my sweet boy over to her and she loved him and everything was alright. That child loves school so much now and he is overflowing with friends. I am so happy :) Will I ever do it again? We'll see...you  never know what each year will bring :)

9. In 2011, I learned to cook. I am still trying and sometimes what I make is almost not edible, but I started to learn to cook this year. I can make chicken salad that will make you slap your mama and chicken and dumplins worth fightin' over. I am learning and I love it. I want to be the kind of mama that my boys will grow up talking about eating my cookin'. I'm not there yet, but maybe by this time next year, I will be :)

10. In 2011, I found a lot of happiness. I had lost so much along the way and I had lost my smile. I had one on the outside but I was so sad on the inside. In 2011, I found my best friend and my dad. In 2011, I realized what was most important in life...Will, Little Will, Cole and Mollie. In 2012 and the rest of my life, I'll strive to love those closest to me and love God even more than that.

So, 2011 was a really good year. I am a blessed girl. I have a family that I always dreamed of, friends that are like gold and boy am I thankful :)

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading this today! You are a beautiful woman and gorgeous testimony inside and out! Enjoy 2012! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just now saw your blog! I know, apparently, I've been in a hole somewhere! - I hear your sweet country voice when I'm reading this post and that just makes me smile8). Glad to hear how you're growing in so many ways. I've thought of your family so many times this year and I know your grandmother would be so proud of the awesome mother you are (and I'm sure you look fab in your skinny jeans).

    ReplyDelete